At Regenerative Stem Cell and Wellness, we focus on a comprehensive treatment program for Autism Spectrum Disorder patients. We utilize a variety of techniques to benefit these patients –
- Human Umbilical Cord Stem Cells (MSC)
- Natural peptides
- Anti-inflammatory supplements
- Cannabidiol (CBD) supplements
- Epigenetic testing (if needed)
Autism is using the Autistic Society’s definition:
“Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental disability; signs typically appear during early childhood and affect a person’s ability to communicate and interact with others. ASD is defined by a certain set of behaviors and is a “spectrum condition” that affects individuals differently and to varying degrees. Some of the behaviors associated with autism include delayed learning of language; difficulty making eye contact or holding a conversation; difficulty with executive functioning, which relates to reasoning and planning; narrow, intense interests; poor motor skills’ and sensory sensitivities. Again, a person on the spectrum might follow many of these behaviors or just a few, or many others besides. The diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder is applied based on analysis of all behaviors and their severity.
Lack of or delay in spoken language
Repetitive use of language and/or motor mannerisms (e.g., hand-flapping, twirling objects)
Little or no eye contact
Lack of interest in peer relationships
Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
Persistent fixation on parts of objects.”
Though there is no proven theory on the cause for autism, there are many thoughts ranging from genetic factors to environmental influences. Recently an article proposed that part of the underlying causes included immune system dysregulation (not working correctly), decreased blood flow to the brain and lack of blood vessels, and inflammation. It is important to look at different therapies to boost the immune system, increase blood flow to the brain, and decrease the inflammation.
At Regenerative Wellness Center we are using some new techniques to address these causes. We are using:
- Umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells are the building blocks of the body and are the repair cells to fix what is wrong. When the stem cells are given they travel throughout the body, detecting damaged cells/tissues and attempt to repair and rejuvenate those cells. The stem cells stimulate the body’s own stem cells and growth factors as well as hundreds of other factors to support healing. We are using the highest quality of birth tissue-based stem cells from human umbilical cord to maximize their benefits. We know that the stem cells not only repair the damaged cells but also boost the immune system and are strong anti-inflammatory. These stem cells remain in the body for years continually repairing the damage. When we are younger we have more stem cells so often with our autistic children or young adults they have more stem cells that can be stimulated by the MSC umbilical cord stem cells and thus have greater improvement.
We use the highest quality umbilical cord stem cells available. The cells we use are compliant with the International Society for Cellular Therapy’s definition – they contain specific markers (CD105,CD73,CD90) and do not contain other markers (CD45,CD34,CD14,CD79,CD11b,CD19,HLA-DR) and are able to change into osteoblasts (bone), adipocytes (fat), and chondroblasts (cartilage). They are highly stimulating stem cells to help your body heal and rejuvenate. (see Safety section)
- A peptide is a short chain of amino acids that are hooked together and form a small protein. There are over 7000 naturally-occurring peptides that have been identified. These peptides act as signaling molecule telling other cells what to do. Peptide therapy is a new treatment because each peptide is highly specific telling the other cells what to do or make. There are over 60 FDA approved peptides with hundreds more being developed. The use of specific peptides can boost the growth of blood vessels as well as boosting the immune system. They can also be used to help reduce anxiety. The peptides can help build up muscles as well as repair any muscle, ligament, or tendon damage. These natural amino acids can help improve autism symptoms. (there are studies using umbilical cord blood stem cells because it contained CD34 which increases blood vessels in the brain). We use evidence-based specific peptides to increase the blood vessels in our body. These peptides are natural and are safe. By using these peptides, we can increase blood flow to the brain helping autistic children and avoid the complications and side effects of cord blood stem cells.
- Use natural anti-inflammatory products to decrease the inflammation in the body. Resveratrol, curcumin, alpha lipoic acid, astaxanthin, etc. can help decrease the inflammation in the body helping it repair itself and prevent further damage.
- Use of CBD (cannabinol) for decrease anxiety, improve sleep, and decrease inflammation. Researchers have found what they believe to be a potential link between autism and the cannabinoid 2 receptors (CB2) within the endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is associated with four symptoms that are atypical in ASD: social reward responsivity, neural development, circadian rhythm and anxiety-related symptoms. Studies support the theory that autism could be caused by a disruption of the brain’s ability to send clear signals and that the use of cannabinoids can restore communication to allow for proper cell function and communication. CBD has been shown to help with these symptoms. There is no psychoactive ingredient (THC) in CBD oil. CBD given either as drops or capsule can be very beneficial to these patients.
- Use of glutathione: autism has been associated with low levels of this essential antioxidant, which may inhibit the body’s ability to naturally clear free radicals and toxins. This powerful naturally produced nutrient is given by IV (the best method) or in capsules.
- Use of oxytocin: available as a nasal spray or troche. Oxytocin has been shown to improve Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS) scores, improving the ability to comprehend the mental states and speech of others during social interactions. It is a natural hormone produced by the body.
- Use of a nutrient-enriched diet which supports the stem cell growth and prevents further damage to the stem cells.
- Use of epigenetic testing to identify other factors which can be addressed.
The procedure is very simple. From different studies, we have determined that the IM use of stem cells allows them to stay in the body longer thus stimulating the natural stem cells and growth factors for a longer period. The procedure is very simple using needles which are the small size as an insulin or TB needle (30 gauge). Depending on the number of stem cells to be given there is one to four injections given at a time in the deltoid muscle (shoulder) or in the buttocks. There is minimal pain and they tolerate the injections well. There is no pain after the injection. Typically for children under 40 kg, the child would receive a minimum of 4 million live MSC stem cells. For each 10 kg over 40 kg, the child is given an additional 1 million stem cells. There are no side effects from the cells. The peptide is given by family members using an insulin syringe or in some instances in a dissolving tablet. The oxytocin is given as a nasal spray or troche. The glutathione is usually given as an IV though there are some oral tablets available. The stem cells can also be given via intravenous route (IV). We recommend that the patients be given the stem cells every 3 months for the first year to boost the overall benefits.
As with any medical treatment, safety should be of the highest priority. The Stem Cells used in our treatment undergo extensive screening for possible infection and impurities. The umbilical cords come from healthy live birth deliveries. The families donating the cords are screened extensively by the criteria set forth by the American Tissue Bank Association. The testing process ensures we use only the healthiest cells to enable the safest and most effective Stem Cell treatment possible. And, unlike other types of Stem Cells, there is no danger of the body’s rejection of our Stem Cells due to the fact they have no antigenicity (cellular fingerprint). This unique quality eliminates the need for drugs used to suppress the immune system, which can leave a patient exposed to serious infections.
After the procedure instructions are given on the correct diet and other therapies to use to maximize the stem cell benefits.